Sunday, January 20, 2008

Film Review

Cloverfield
OK, I know it's awards season and I should be using my time to see potentially nominated (or actually nominated) films. But, I couldn't resist seeing Cloverfield. I loved the trailer and the hype surrounding the film was tangible. Plus, I wanted to see something "fun" and without awards hoopla.


Long story short: Something attacks Manhattan. People die. The end.


I liked it a lot.


The film is shot on hand-held cameras. More succinctly: A single hand-held camera. Think Blair Witch Project. The attacker (trying not to give too much away here, folks...) isn't seen in detail until the end of the movie. Its minions are super-scary, as well.



My friend Justin picked up the tickets for the group of us that went. When he purchased them, he was warned that the film "may cause motion sickness." Once the movie started, I understood why and actually had to look down or to the side of the screen for seconds at a time and kinda watch peripherally because the hand-held cam is almost always jostling/moving/focusing. It's damn effective! The movie is only around 90 minutes long, which is just as well. Any longer and it would have been overkill.

The deaths in the film aren't gory. And, most of the horror lies in what you're not seeing or in the confusion and chaos the characters go through.

I've read other blogs and several reviews. Some people said there was one big unanswered question: "Where did the attacker come from?" The question is answered! When you see the film, one of the last scenes is a moment at Coney Island. It shows a lovely panorama of the beach and the water, while people frolic. Watch the right side of the screen. Justin and I happened to see it while our friends, Michael and Lou, did not.

There's a LOT of tension, suspense and humor in the film. If you can stand the constantly-moving-camera, see it. It's worth the ride.

No comments: