Saturday, November 10, 2007

10 of My Favorite Actresses Currently Appearing on TV

Obviously, this list is subjective. But, I love every one of these women. I think they're talented, beautiful and some of the best actresses working today. They're in my order of preference...

(1) Felicity Huffman - The true anchor of Desperate Housewives. The other women are all very good, but Huffman is a true goddess. She's brilliant and needs to make more feature films, like Transamerica... not like Georgia Rule. I have nothing snarky to say about her.

(2) Jean Smart - Currently appearing on Samantha Who? The former Designing Women star is a formidable actress. She's appeared on almost every quality sitcom (both she and Felicity Huffman were Frasier Crane's girlfriends at one time or another on Frasier), and her Emmy nominated work on 24 was amazing. Someone get this woman into more films. A hidden gem of hers: playing the Bradys' next door-neighbor, Mrs. Ditmeyer in The Brady Bunch Movie. (Feeling drunk, horny and standing between Greg and Peter: "I'm in a Brady sandwich.")

(3) Sally Field - OK, she's amazing. Nobody can work a camera or an audience better than she on Brothers & Sisters. She's consistently ballsy. And consistently good. And the Boniva spokeswoman.

(4) Chandra Wilson - I LOVE Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey on Grey's Anatomy. She makes the "Nazi" (their term, not mine) on the show a strong leader, yet a sensitive woman. Can't wait to see what the future holds for her. And, Chandra, I don't care what you say - I love your nose.

(5) Becki Newton - As Amanda on Ugly Betty, she manages to do the unthinkable...steal almost every scene she's in. Brilliant at both comedy and dramatic work, great at slapstick comedy and fantastic at portraying multiple roles, she's someone to watch. And she's hot! Don't forget hot. Every homo's dream hag.

(6) Rachel Griffiths - Was brilliant on Six Feet Under, is brilliant on Brothers & Sisters. I'm a sucker for an Aussie.

(7) America Ferrera - The only actress on my list named after a country/continent. Ugly Betty herself conveys every emotion flawlessly, while holding the center of the show. I wonder if her boyfriend sings "I like to be in America..." when they have sex?

(8) Kristin Chenoweth - The Pushing Daisies star is adorable, yet formidable. She's been popping up everywhere (Ugly Betty, The West Wing) since she left Broadway's Wicked. And, don't forget she was the basis for Sarah Paulson's born-again character on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Kristin's got Jesus on her side.

(9) Kate Walsh - She's the perfect actress to spin off from Grey's Anatomy, to Private Practice. I idolize her. I wish I was her. Then, I'd get to meet TR Knight.

(10) Sandra Oh - I feel bad putting her at #10. She is a genius. Fantastic on Grey's Anatomy. Was great in Sideways. But she was stupid for ever agreeing to do Under the Tuscan Sun.

3 comments:

EricR. said...

I love, love, LOVE the new blog! But I have to take you to task: On a cold, snowy day I can be found curled up on the couch watching "Under the Tuscan Sun." If it's on TMC. Or HBO. And there' nothing else on. :) Keep up te snarky (your word, not mine) work!

jtwburger said...

Oh shit...You made me guffaw (yes I said guffaw)with the "I like to be in America" line....Oh.My.God. That was hilarious.
I honestly can't think of a better person to be blogging. I am so excited that your have a forum for your brilliant wit. Congrats and thank you...

. said...

Yay Doug!

This is better than college theatre!