Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Men of Wisteria Lane

OK, we all know the show is called Desperate Housewives. And we all know the women are fierce in their own ways. But I want to write about the men who are currently on the show. Some of them I like, some of them I love, some of them I couldn't give a rat's ass about one way or another. So, in no particular order...
Doug Savant (Tom Scavo) I must admit, I love him the most. Not because he played gay on Melrose Place. Not because his name is "Doug," like me. (FYI - "Douglas" is a Scottish name that translates to "dweller of the dark brook." Mysterious, huh?) As far as I'm concerned, he's the unsung strongest male actor on the show. He's not only completely and utterly believable, but he's strong enough to go head-to-head with Felicity Huffman in a majority of his scenes. I think he plays his character exactly right - flawed and real...exactly what every man really is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricardo Chavira (Carlos Solis) I love him second most. I love Latin men. He's tall, dark and swarthy. He's also a man's man. Oh, and a good actor. My only complaint? Wait, I have none.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shawn Pyfrom (Andrew Van De Camp) Don't argue with me. He's not one of the kids anymore. He's a young man. And a fine actor. I wished the writers hadn't watered him down so much since his bad-boy days. And give the character a boyfriend, please! He's been single and celibate for too long. Someone that good-looking and in the prime of his life should be gettin' some on a regular basis. Shawn has come a long way since his guest starring days on Still Standing and Reba. Hell, sometimes you can catch him on both shows, back-to-back on Lifetime.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyle MacLachlan (Orson Hodge) Kyle's been around for years. And I still don't buy a majority of what he says/does on screen. It's not that I think he's a bad actor. He's OK. But, there's something so "plastic" and "facade-like" about him, that I've always wondered if the real Kyle MacLachlan was buried somewhere in the sands of Dune, while what we see is some sort of robot David Lynch created to take his place. He's so wax-like, I half-expect him to melt in daylight scenes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Denton (Mike Delfino) Sleepwalking. That's what he's doing. Sleepwalking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Rahm (Lee McDermott) One half of the gay couple on Wisteria Lane. I like him. He's appropriately snarky (and you know I love snarky!). His face has character and there's something very appealing about him. I'm intrigued enough that I'll bet they kill off his partner at some point and give him more to do...
like maybe become Andrew's bf.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuc Watkins (Bob Hunter) The other half of the gay couple on Wisteria Lane. The cardboard half.

No comments: